[Dailydrool] Veterinary insurance pays off for once

Muriel Fiona Napier allears at rogers.com
Mon May 20 11:33:20 PDT 2013

I believe very strongly that, like so many things, pet insurance is a case of caveat emptor ... know exactly what you’re buying. That said, having once had a Basset whose vet bills got to the point I wouldn’t (and still won’t) add them up, I swore that I would never again have a dog without insurance. And I haven’t. But you have to be aware from the start exactly what you’re paying for, and what the insurance company can/might do if you make any claims. And there’s no doubt it’s best if the dog is insured right from puppyhood ... that way, there’s no “pre-existing conditions” and therefore probable exclusions to coverage.

Bonnie, who sadly had to be put to sleep this past Easter just a few weeks short of her 13th birthday, was insured from the day she came home at 12 weeks of age. Unfortunately the main option available here in Canada at the time was PetSecure (who have changed their name so many times over the years I can’t remember what they were called then). I had little choice, so that was where she was enrolled. And yes, over the almost 13 years she was with them, they did accept most claims. The main trouble was that every six months, if a claim had been made during the previous six months, the percentage of the claim that was allowable was reduced. Sometimes they’ve paid 60% (or less) of the claim; occasionally it was 80%. In addition, they regard Bassets as a “premium” breed, and raise THEIR premiums to account for this. I had many arguments with them when I realized what was happening, and finally (about three months before Bonnie died) cancelled the insurance altogether.

Bertie (ten years old last January) was insured from day one with Vet Insurance, as it was then (2003). It was taken over/renamed Trupanion a few years later, and I can only say how glad I am that I found the company. They have queried the odd claim in some ten years (can’t think of one off the top of my head), but continue to provide 90% coverage for nigh on all illness/accident occurrences. For example ... at the beginning of this year, Bertie stopped eating. To cut a long story short, he spent about 10 days at the vet being treated for a liver infection, and requiring the removal of his gall bladder. He recovered, but there was a flare up of the liver problem in March. More treatment. He’s still on various pills. Trupanion, the insurance company, have so far paid about $12500 (US$12000 or so). Let me be honest ... without insurance, Bertie quite simply would not be here with me now.

So do I recommend pet insurance? Absolutely. But do your research, and know exactly what you’re paying for.

Muriel Fiona Napier
pui me amat, amat et canems meum