[Dailydrool] Miss Angela likes the cold

bjenk1 at cox.net bjenk1 at cox.net
Thu Nov 14 08:01:44 PST 2013

Bill here, press agent/personal trainer emeritus to Miss Angela Basset,
Dowager Diva of Wichita  and Sedgwick County

Since the cold snap set it, my petite flower has begun demanding to go
out into the front yard.  Not to "do her business" as we call it around here,
but to patrol the perimeter.  Mind you, she can go out back to a fenced area
whenever she wishes via a dog door that is available to her 16 hours a
day.  But three or four times a day, she goes to the front door.  She will
just sit there a while, waiting semi patiently for me to put her on her tether
and sit on the porch while she sniffs everything.  If I do not notice her at the
door, she will start to whine, quietly at first then building in volume.  She is
not above going to a full throated bark.

Now it's not always convenient to throw on a coat and take her outside.  I
will sometimes just hook her to her tether and come back in to grab a
coat.  At first, she would immediately come back up to the door and want
to come inside to me. She has gotten over that a bit and will now stay out
for five or ten minutes.  I watch her from my office window.  Then, when she
has had enough, she returns to the door, barks to be let in, and then heads
for her couch for a good nap, secure in her knowledge that the perimeter
has not been violated.

Is this typical basset behavior or just another