[Dailydrool] Worst day ever - long

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 20 14:52:43 PST 2013

Some of you may have seen on Facebook that last month I ended up scrapping my car. But I couldn't tell the whole story right then.

The car broke down at a  park about 20 miles away. The tow truck couldn't take the dogs, so my friends Sue and Terry took Rolph and Clara ahead to the garage. They then took me on to the XH's house to collect his car.

Sue and I loaded Rolph and Clara into XH's car. As I drove down the driveway, a light on the dash told me the tailgate wasn't latched, so I stopped, got out opened it and slammed it shut. Then I drove 20 minutes to my house. When I got there, I opened the tailgate and found Rolph - but no Clara.

I cannot begin to describe how I felt when I realised she wasn't in the car. I had no idea when she could have got out (the tailgate was not open, just unlatched). Clara HATES being left alone and I was terrified she may have tried to run after the car, or may have fallen out when I reversed, or may have tried to find her way home across the many very main roads. To say I was beside myself doesn't come close.

Sue drove me back to the DH's house, all the way looking out for Clara. We pulled up the drive, but she wasn't there, so I called her and Sue called her and we started to spread out and search - when a small basset cannonball came flying up the path. Thank doG she had the sense to just wait at the XH's house. I have never hugged her so tight for so long!

Sally with gray hair,  Rolph and (thankfully) Clara, UK