[Dailydrool] Gender Differences

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 10:22:29 PDT 2013

I can only speak about my bassets.  I haven't had any other breed as an
adult.  And, many of my childhood dogs were also bassets.

All my bassets have been neutered or spayed.  I don't show.  While I would
LOVE to have a litter of bassets, I feel it is important to leave it to the
people who study the lines and show.  I have had 4 females and 4 males that
were in the house long term.

I personally prefer males.  All of my males have been more laid back and
mellow.  They aren't always trying to boss me around.  My females have been
more different.  But, they have all been more bossy than my males.  I have
never had a wicked male-male fight.  I can't count the number of times I
have had my two females ATB now try to kill each other.  It is stressful
and expensive.

Right now I think I am in heaven. My two males love each other to death.
 They both think they have to care of my female.  My female is small enough
that when she gets too bossy, the boys just roll her and bite her on the
lip and then walk off and ignore her as long as they can.  They DO NOT hurt
her when they bite her.  IT is more to get her attention and let her know
she is getting too rough.  We call Beauford our cat.  He is very loving,
but when he gets his quota, off he goes.  Bugsey has never gotten his
quota.  If he is not outside playing, and someone is sitting, he is in
their lap.  Browyn, well, she is a Fairy Princess.  They are totally
different.  She comes and gets loved on and then she is off to play and
then she is back, leaping from across the couch.  We are still trying to
get it through her head that we don't like her in our face cleaning out our
eyes, ears, nose and mouth.  Maybe she will get it by the time she is 6.
 Then again, maybe she won't.  I have had a queen and a princess, but
Browyn is my first Fairy Princess.  So, I guess we will see what happens.
 I will say that you need a female around just to keep things interesting.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn--all still praying and drooling
for all those in need.