[Dailydrool] Blind dogs and dog parks

Valerie vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 9 12:10:40 PDT 2013

Bo is mostly blind--100% in one eye and about 80% in the other eye. Occasionally I take him to the dog park here with his brother, Harley, but only if the park is almost deserted (no more than two other dogs there). the one dog park on our Island is in fact usually deserted except on Saturday mornings, so we never go then. this may be a luxury not available at mainland dog parks. Bo loves to sniff all the trails of the other dogs, but needs to know where I am at all times, so I walk next to him with my ankle touching his side. He feels protected that way too. this said, Bo has never snapped at anyone or anything. I would not take him to a crowded park. while I shelter Bo, Harley goes and plays. we do not stay long.