[Dailydrool] a new regimen for night owl Bo

Valerie vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 14 20:48:27 PDT 2013

so the DH and Bo and I had a consult with our vet today about Bo's upside down schedule (up all night baying on and off for his slave to entertain him and provide snacks, sleep all day). Benedryl did not work for him, nor did keeping him up all day at doggie daycare. tonight he gets Melatonin and a Valium an hour before bedtime, and then Prozac in the morning. the vet thinks that anxiety from the combination of his doggie dementia and his mostly blindness is at the root of the problem. we're to try this for two weeks, then maybe adjust dosages.  there is also the possibility of cataract surgery by a canine ophthalmologist in the future, but since this would involve flying Bo to another island (which would be terrifying to him, not to mention costly)' our vet wants to see if we can make some progress on the doggie dementia first. (Which has a different name--canine cognitive something or other--the vet doesn't really care for our calling it doggie dementia, lol). despite all of the above, Bo remains, as ever, affectionate and relatively happy so long as the next meal is on its way. I do love this creature though I've never in my life met a more imperious, high maintenance animal. Bo says "Semper fido" to all and "Bone Appetit--is it Dinnertime yet Mom?