[Dailydrool] Tramadol question

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 23 08:19:49 PDT 2013

Firstly, Drool to all who need it.

I need a little advice on the ongoing problem of Rolph. He spent one week on a drug which was rimadyl in everything but name. He showed a marked improvement.

I discussed with the vet the idea of keeping him on that and it's possible side-effects and we agreed to try him on pain killers only and see how he goes.

He has been on Tramadol for a couple of days and in the house I haven't really seen a big change in him - except lying in the garden quietly, which isn't normally something I associate with him.

However, today I took him for his morning walk on a route we frequently take. First of all he saw a man picking wild berries from a hedge on the path and refused. Point Blank. to pass him. He acted like the man (who was alone, no dog, nothing) was some fire-breathing dragon. I had to physically drag him past. Even reassurances didn't work. Then a little further up the path was a man with a dog.
Rolph did the same thing. And after passing both of them, he kept looking back over his shoulder like he thought they would chase him.

This is completely unlike Rolph who would normally want to befriend the man and eat the other dog.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Could it be an effect of the opiate in tramadol?

Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK