[Dailydrool] lymph nodes and drool

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 25 14:19:54 PDT 2013

 Michelle,
    First do not panic.  If the first round of antibiotics does not work it does not mean you are dealing with lymphoma.  The lymphatic system is part of the body's immune system and line of defense against infection.  If your sweet boy has a severe or systemic infection, the body tells the lymph nodes to swell and begin fighting the infection.  Your boy's infection does sound quite involved and he may require both a longer course of antibiotics and a stronger antibiotic.
    Amoxicillin may not necessarily knock this out in one round.  I am surprised a stronger, broader spectrum antibiotic wasn't prescribed for such an extensive sinus and tonsil infection.  Your boy may be suffering from canine influenza which can cause all three of these symptoms--swollen lymph nodes, tonsillitis, and sinus discharge.
    I would not panic and I would definitely let your faith kick in.  Sometimes, we make things worse by panicking excessively.  I think bassets can be sensitive and pick up on our panic.
    I think you will be pleasantly surprised and pleased when your boy recovers quickly but if he doesn't.  Don't panic.  Either get a second opinion from a new vet or request another round of a stronger antibiotic.  Sinus infections and throat infections in dogs can be notoriously difficult to get rid of in dogs.
    I have had dogs with swollen lymph nodes in the neck, armpits, and thighs before.  When they had an infection, the nodes did diminish as the infection cleared up.  Don't panic if Colt needs a stronger antibiotic for a longer period of time.
    I know some people will disagree with me but I would also suggest giving your boy 1,000 mgs of vitamin C twice a day with meals and 700 to 800 mgs of echinacea and golden seal twice a day with meals.  ( You can get a bottle of this herbal mixture in capsule form at Wal Mart for $4.00.) I have had great results with both with respiratory infections and skin infections.  I have a Holistic vet and she also recommends raw honey for congestion and coughs.
    I had a whole household get the canine influenza and two of my Newfs contracted it through the vet's office.  All recovered but it was a bumpy two weeks for some of them.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and Colt!!!
    Marie and the Newf, Saint, Basset Crew
Man Plans ~ God Laughs