[Dailydrool] Basset Shoots Owner

meckler.12 at osu.edu meckler.12 at osu.edu
Sun Aug 3 13:06:20 PDT 2014

When this story first appeared two years ago, I checked it out in the original French publications, which do not mention the dog being a Basset at all.

The dogs are identified in English-language publications as “Blue Gascony Bassets,” but the French publications -- which all derive from the same Agence France Presse news service report based on a radio news story -- refer to the dogs only as “Bleu de Gascogne.”

The reference to the “Bleu de Gascogne” is probably to the Grand Bleu de Gascogne, a less rare breed and much larger dog than the Basset Bleu de Gascogne, and Grand Bleus would be far more appropriate for hunting deer, which was what was taking place when the accident occurred.

I wonder whether the “Basset” part got mistakenly added in an English translation of the AFP story, which then spread in the English-language press.

In any event, a Basset Hound certainly did not set off the rifle, and it may not have been the case that a Blue Gascony Basset set off the rifle, either.