[Dailydrool] Food Aggression

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 25 09:15:23 PDT 2014

Hi all, the ever clueless momPerson here,

We pulled Snoopy from the dog pound ..... can anyone believe it will be FIVE years ago in January?  Wow time flies.  Snoopy had been a pampered (and only) pooch.  Then his owner died and there was a nine month period we know nothing about.  We know the shelter called his former home and was told the owner had died and no one there would come to claim him .... they said they had given him away and couldn't recall to whom.

Anyway Snoopy had a whole host of issues when we pulled him.... including food aggression.  We had other dogs and were convinced we could "cure" him.  We are an entire clueless family actually.  At the time we had 110 lb Lab named Cyrus and I can't even count the number of times Snoopy went after Cyrus over food.  We used to stand in between them in the kitchen while they ate and try to coral Snoopy.  Didn't go so well.  Also ..... everyone ate as fast as they possibly could because Snoopy wanted to steal the other dogs food and the other dogs wanted to finish it themselves.

When we added Gracie to the pack we FINALLY wised up (only took a few years).  Snoopy gets fed in the garage, and the other dogs eat in the kitchen (just feed from each other but a solid door between them).  Now everyone eats slowly and calmly.  Nobody worries.  Once the bowls in the kitchen are empty I pick them up and then I open the door and Snoopy trots in and everybody sniffs everybody elses snooter to make sure they all had the same meal (they did) and everybody trots outside together to go potty and everybody wags and is happy.  There is no stress.  This is wonderful.

Good luck and feel free to e-mail me offlist ... if you want to chat we can do that too just let me know.

Dale (aka the clueless momPerson) with Snoopy, LuLu and Gracie the princess (but not a fairy princess she has decided)