[Dailydrool] Eye Vet Essential

Sally Russell sally at slokr.com
Tue Aug 26 06:23:01 PDT 2014

Our Browser has had glaucoma since age five.  Pixel developed the same
(they were not related) at age 11 after a rabies shot which developed into
pancreatitis and a week later into blindness in one eye from glaucoma.  Our
eye vet said an inflammatory disease can cause this.  We used multiple eye
drops and meds for both bassets in order to preserve eyesight in the one
good eye.  The eyesight rarely lasts for more than a year and both of our
bassets good eyes lasted just at the two year mark.

Eye pressure checks should always be done with physicals even if your dog
is not experiencing problems.  Most regular non-eye vets should be able to
do this and if not, run not walk to an eye vet.  Glaucoma is unfortunately
all too common in bassets.

We just took our new family member, Sprite, for an eye check even though
Shih Tzus are not known to have glaucoma but have other eye diseases.

Speaking from sad experiences,

Sally Russell