[Dailydrool] Eye vet essential and bassets and other breeds

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at optimum.net
Wed Aug 27 10:04:33 PDT 2014

Our experience with regular vets and eye checks was that they would do
one test to check pressure. The eye vet did three and averaged them
together for a more accurate appraisal. It takes about two seconds to do
each test, so I don't know what the problem is for regular vets, except
I think it is a real skill to take the test properly, since the techs at
the eye doc's office did it more easily and accurately. Dogs don't
really like having the test done, and the skilled eye-doc vets make it
easier for them.

Naturally, I live in an area where you can get just about any vet, if
you are willing to travel a reasonable distance; if you don't have this
option, you may have to use a local vet. But my vet doesn't have a
tonometer (the doodad that takes the test). They cost a couple thousand
dollars, and I guess it would not be profitable for her.

On another note, having Lily the Demoiselle Dragonfly Queen visiting us
has made me appreciate the basset breed. Italian greyhounds may be a lot
faster than bassets, but they are also a lot more nervous. The placid
basset style is more suited to me, it turns out. While Lily flits around
like a dragonfly, my guys plod on at my speed. Lily is very sweet and
adorable, but I think we'll stick with the bassets.

Pam, the basset queen, and happy to be so