[Dailydrool] Beds

Michele S. wickedfoxybear at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 8 13:05:48 PST 2014

I think that it was Bev that was posting about Conley and being concerned about him getting cold in his crate.  Here is a thought.  My parents used to keep their basset Morgan out in a fenced in area of their garage at night and when they were away from the house to keep him safe and out of trouble. My dad took a shipping pallet and modified it a little to make Morgan a Bed. he put a piece of plywood slats on it to make it a solid floor/base.  Then he put some side rails on it, put a big comfy dog bed/pillow in it and wal-la...Morgan has an elevated bed that is off of the cold concrete floor.  Dad also put an old area rug down on the garage floor in Morgan's kennel area to keep it a little warmer.  You could just put the plywood on top of the pallet, maybe a couple of side rails to keep Conley's crate from sliding off when he moves around. I would even go to Good Will or another thrift store and get an area rug to put under the pallet to help insulate and keep the cold out. You might also have to make him a small step to be able to get into his crate a little easier since you are elevating it. Just a thought.

Colt and Ruger have what I call a California King Basset bed.  It is a very nice piece of foam that has an egg crate foam top on it. On top of that I have two of their old soft cushy dog beds...kind of like a pillow top mattress. The foam gives them support while the dog beds give them some soft, snuggle in cushion. Over all of that I have a twin bed plastic waterproof mattress cover, on top of that is twin mattress pad, with a twin sheet over that.  I easily wash the sheet and mattress pad and just wipe off the plastic mattress cover with a little soap and water if any accidents occure. In the winter I add an area rug underneath the bed to keep the chill off of them and add an extra faux fur blanket to the top of it.  Even in this new house my dinning room is actually their bedroom...they live like 2 little Princess of the Universe. Even if it is just mine and the DH's Universe that they rule over.

Hugs and Belly Rubs to all the Houndies!
Michele, Colt & Ruger at Howling Hound Acres
Women are Angels...And when someone breaks their wings..They simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...They are flexible like that...