[Dailydrool] Sad News

Mary Lee mltrnka at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 23 15:13:47 PST 2014

Last Thursday I posted about Philby's great response to the laser therapy.  Unfortunately, it did not last.  On Friday he had a relapse that involved both of his back legs.  I caught it pretty quick, and our vet came over within a few hours.  At that time, Philby still responded to pain in both legs although he could not bear weight on them.  We decided to get him back on pain and anti-inflammatory meds and see what happened.  The vet also gave him a sedative injection so he would sleep and rest the legs. I brought him in the living room and set him up on a pallet on the floor.

He slept into the evening, only waking occasionally to lift his head and look around.  My husband had been out of town.  When he came in Friday night, Philby lifted his head and wagged his tail.  He made no attempt to get up.  I slept on the sofa so I could be close to him if needed anything.

At 7 am, we tried to wake him up.  He was in the same position.  We tried to get him up with a sling.  I was sure he would have to potty since he had not relieved himself since Friday morning.  He was like a dishrag - he made no attempt to assist us.

My vet does not usually work on Saturday, but I tried calling him a couple times anyway.  I pinched Philby's feet and legs - nothing.  I did notice that when I pinched between the pads on one foot, the other foot twiched.

Philby just stayed on the pallet.  Sometimes he wimpered.  It was so sad.

We didn't hear back from our vet, so around noon we took him to the emergency vet clinic and let him go.

We knew when he had the first episode in January that his back was terrible - just about every vertabra from his ribs to his hips showed deterioration and calcification.  He had been feeling so good - maybe too good.  He was running, jumping and playing like a puppy.

The truth is, it was just a matter of time.  Later that evening our vet called.  He knew what happened before he called.  We talked for a while and I told him about the twitch in the opposite foot.  He said that was an indication of pretty severe nerve damage.

For the first time in 16 years, nobody comes to greet us when we open the door.  No pitter-patter, no jingling tags. We are so sad.  This is the first dog we've had that wormed his way into my husband's heart.  They were buddies for life.  He carried him into the clinic like a child.  I posted on FB that we all know when we carry these four-footed beasts into our house, we know some day we're going to have to carry them out.  We still do it, because they add so much to our lives.  The must make our hearts grow, too. Must be, because we're still alive, but a big chunk of our hearts are gone. . .

Bye-bye, sweet Philby.  There will never be another like you!

Mary Lee