[Dailydrool] Happy New Year!

Joanne Coorlas jolet at aol.com
Wed Jan 1 09:44:33 PST 2014

I was thinking while reading the latest issue this morning how special the DD is and how much I laugh and cry and care about people and dogs I have never met. I find advice, commiserate, laugh and cry some more, and have concluded that only special people were intended to have this very special breed. Five months was all I could go without the pitter patter of giant basset nails,  I adopted Hazel June from a Michigan shelter in June.  She is about 5, was picked up as a stray in May, it was evident that she recently weaned some large puppies. I kept looking on line for weeks and checking with the animal control, thinking someone must be missing her.  Although--she is the most "challenging" of the series so far: counter cruises right in front of me,  takes random things (paper towels,  toilet brush, pencil),  Basset 500's  like a maniac,  and is my first housebreaking challenge, but all worth those moments when I watch her sneak off to bury a chew in the closet, or she puts her head on my shoulder. I miss my girls terribly but the house feels more right again. Almost forgot to  mention that when I brought her in the front door when we got home, I put the leash down to shut the doors,  she made a bee line for a dining room chair hopped up on it and checked out the dining room table. I am not kidding, directly from the front door. Welcome home.

Best wishes and prayers for a happy, healthy, peaceful 2014 to all.

Joanne and Hazel June
Chicago, IL

Rosemary ('We're watching you, Mom.') and Veronica (' Get her off my chair.') ATB