[Dailydrool] Black Nails and dremeling

Joanne Coorlas jolet at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 31 19:20:44 PST 2014

Shannon, I also wanted to recommend trying Dremeling as opposed to nail removal. Basset nails are so big I would be concerned about infection risk from removal.  Years ago Rosemary and Veronica got theirs dremeled at a BBR picnic in Wis. Rosemary was so submissive at the time you could've dremeled her paws off. V had to be pinned down . I bought a dremel and found a great 'How To' online. I remember it's a woman with dobermans if u look for it. The girls always tried to avoid me and the dremel, but over time it became more routine & we always finished up with me yelling "Special Dremel Treats!!" & we'd all run to the refrigerator. Because you're filing them down essentially, you can stop before you think you're getting near quick, you can kind of see it coming, or stop if you start to see a little blood, instead of clipping where if u hit quick you've already done the damage. The heat also cauterizes the quick tip.

So, Hazel is much more of a 'challenge,' picture major thrashing and gnashing of teeth, spittle flying, pee leaking, capturing a wild boar type scenario, so I took her to Pet Supplies Plus a few times. They use the grooming table and she wasn't happy but  just stood there. I told her that if she lets them do it then momma can do it, and as doG is my witness, I vow to be victorious.
Good luck to you and Boomer.

Joanne

Hazel June (I wouldn't cooperate so she shoved my treats back in the fridge!)

Rosemary and Veronica ATB (We now go to the Rainbow Bridge Salon where nail care never hurts and the treats are in a big "Take as Many as you'd Like" dish.)