[Dailydrool] NotaBasset, but sister to three

jasperlabs at frontiernet.net jasperlabs at frontiernet.net
Tue Jul 1 16:13:40 PDT 2014

I hope this is ok to post.  I have a chi-weenie who lives with me and my three wonderful bassets.  Last, last Wednesday she was hit by a car.  Suffered a concussion and some abrasions on her head.  Couldnt' reach my vet and in my panic took her to the closest vet that was still in his office.  He gave her some steroids, said "I could put her in a cage for the night but no one will be here" .   So I brought her home.  Took her to my vet the next day who put her on IV fluids and pain meds.  He said giving her the steroids was kind of "old school", but she was still alive.  She perked up a litlle after the IV and I brought her home with meloxidyl for pain.  She started to perk up after a few days, but then last Friday, she was backsliding.  Back to the vet, she had a fever of 103.5 and a raging infection somewhere.  My vet said possibly the steroids she received copromised her immune system and let the infection take hold.  so now she's on two
 antiobiotics and my vet is doing laser therapy on her neck and spine.  She's still sleeping most of the time but she is eating and drinking.  I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with laser therapy and how long until she will perk up.  She had two treatments, one Monday, one today and is scheduled for another on Thursday.  Or if she will perk up .....the Bassets know she's hurting and are being extra nice around her.  I just feel so bad.  My vet actually called me back after my initial panic call, but I was outside with Roo and he called my house phone, not my cell.  I wish I would have checked before I took her to the other (bad) vet.  He was such a jerk.  Anyway, sorry this is so long, but I know you guys have so much experience and information...any thoughts would be appreciated.  You can email me off list.  Thanks, Jeanie, Elvis, Daisy, Stella and Roo (my head hurts).