[Dailydrool] WATER

jfishel1500 at comcast.net jfishel1500 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 3 04:58:32 PDT 2014

How much water do other Bassets drink on a daily basis?  Rusty is currently on Prednisone, Denamarin, and Enrofloxacin as a result of a bout of pancreatitis.  He's doing very well, and seems to feel much better, but I noticed yesterday that he's really not drinking much water.  It is hot and humid here in PA and I would think that alone would draw him to the water bowl.   I do have 3 ACs running in the house, so the inside temp is 70 degrees, and he only goes outside several times a day to do his business, and nose around the yard, but not out for long lengths of time.   The vet changed his diet to Science Diet w/d and he eats both the canned and dry formulas.  Yesterday I started to add water to his dry food in an attempt to get more water into him.  This morning I poured a palm full of water in my hand and he lapped it up.  I keep two water bowls out for him (well the cat uses one) and change it to fresh water several times a day as well as wash the bowls every time I change the water.  He never really was a big water drinker, but with being on the Pred I expected he would drink more than usual, not less.  Any ideas on how I can get him interested in drinking more.  I might add that when he first developed pancreatitis he was on IVs for 4 days at the vets office.