[Dailydrool] Crackers

KR1204 at aol.com KR1204 at aol.com
Tue Jul 8 15:59:00 PDT 2014

Many of you know my sweet old gentlehound Crackers from Boardwaddles,
Michigan, Slobberfest and Rambles. While being treated for a sinus infection
this spring my vet noticed that his hematocrit (red blood cells) levels were
dropping ever so slightly so she ran an auto immune panel on him. Crackers
has  Lupus (SLE) the same thing that people have. It is very rare in canines
and  almost never seen in cats and horses so there is not a lot of
information out  there. The treatment is basically prednisone, stay out of the sun,
use  sunscreen, (I always have on his nose) and avoid stress. If you know
Crackers it  is pretty hard to stress him.! We have been getting bloodwork done
every couple  of weeks and it returned to normal but this last one was down
a tiny bit so the  vet upped the pred.
I am curious to know if anyone else as experienced this in any dog, not
necessarily a basset. It has been found in GSDs, Afghan Hounds, Beagles and
some  terriers.So far my boy is acting normal and has gained a little weight.
I would  like to have him around for a while longer and I know people who
have been  living wit Lupus for decades.
Any info or thoughts would be appreciated. Oh and a little drool  too!
Kathy with Crackers, Loki and Jordan (more about her in another  posting)