[Dailydrool] Ex sloppy drinker

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Tue Jul 8 19:43:05 PDT 2014

Those of you who offered suggestions regarding Douglas, who dribbled
water all over the floor when drinking, might care to know how it ended.
Everyone's experience or question ends up helping us all in one way or
another. Quote:

Just an email to let you know that Douglas passed away this morning at
the age of 12 years, six months and three weeks.

He was whelped on Dec 12, 2001 as Sanchu-Topsfield Parcheesi. He came to
live with us in Sept 2002.

His parents were Calypso and Ginger, his brother was Yahtzee, who was a
top male basset in the nation for a period.

Three weeks ago he was diagnosed with Horner's disease...largely because
of a paralysis in his face. We first noticed a problem when it took him
a long time to drink and he was spilling a lot.

This weekend he started to throw up and wouldn't eat or drink. The
senior vet at the practice, (not the one that made the diagnosis) said
that he thought it was something beyond Horner's based on the extent of
paralysis in the face...he estimated that 3 and perhaps 4 cranial nerves
were involved as opposed to just one usual with the disease. He said
that kind of problem had three main causes: a huge illness or trauma, a
stroke or a tumor. Since the first two weren't there, his best guess is
it was a brain tumor.

Certainly, the extent of the problem was severe and getting worse, as
even we noticed a decay in muscle tone around his right eye and face
since the Horner's diagnosis about three weeks ago.

He was on pegnizone and was very spry in his final weeks. As late as
Friday night he enjoyed a walk...he looked jaunty, tail up high, coming
home with Anne.

We've had bassets nonstop since the Spring of 1990 when we got Wilbur
from Kitty Steidel. He passed away shortly before Douglas was born...I
always hoped there was a bit of his spirit in Douglas.  In 2000, we
adopted Shirley from a rescue group in Texas. She was 7-9 years old when
we got her and she lived with us until late 2005. Without a dog and
their set patterns of feeding and let-out times, it's going to be
strange and quiet here.

Douglas was a good dog, friendly and always great with kids when the
neighbors came over or my nephew and his girls came to visit.

He was a good ambassador for the breed being named King of the WABR
Basset Blast, as well as getting the Longest Ears award twice (most
recently in May), and the Best Howl award three years running. He didn't
win this year because he couldn't pucker up the way he used to...an
earlysign of his nerve troubles.

RIP Douglas/Parcheesi.

We'll miss you and always remember you.

John & Anne Boyle