[Dailydrool] Birdies

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 06:41:21 PDT 2014

A few weeks ago a house finch attempted to build a nest on the grapevine
wreath outside the glass storm door on the front of the house.  This door
has a dog door in it and gets lots of use.  Dumb bird, I thought.  So
before she was done, I took the wreath inside the house.  Can you imagine 4
bassets staring up at a nest from inside the house?  She found another
location, this time in one of the 4 window boxes along the porch rail.
 Before there were any eggs, I moved the nest.  The next morning the nest
was back in the window box with a single blue egg.  A few days later, there
were 4 eggs.  The babies hatched during the height of Hurricane Arthur.
 The 4 dogs love to got out on the front porch and watch the world go by,
often posing for pictures.  As the babies grew, the parents squawked at us
if we got too near the nest.  Both my husband and I have been hit by a
bird.  It made plant watering a challenge.  Gallagher, my big 80 lb. boy,
would stick his head out the door and one or both bird parents would come
right to him and squawk at him.  I'm fairly sure he was smacked by one or
both.  So he would not go out on the porch.  This big beast of a dog (not
fat, just big) was afraid of the bird.
As the babies got bigger and bigger, their cries got louder and louder.
 Gallagher stayed in the front hall, whining.
This morning, I went out on the front porch and it was silent.  The babies
are gone.  I knew it would be any day now.  Now we have to convince the big
guy that it's safe to go outside again.