[Dailydrool] Bleeding disease

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Thu Jul 17 20:23:49 PDT 2014

I don't have anything really helpful to offer; as far as I know, there
is nothing that can be done other than be alert and careful about cuts.
Surgery should be performed only if absolutely necessary, and blood
available for transfusion.

I purchased a bitch puppy who turned out to have the bleeding disorder,
and I know who the carrier (stud) was, but that was 45 years ago.
Haven't heard much talk about the disease of late, though at one time
there was much studying done and attempts to eliminate the carriers. No
decent breeder will use stock known to carry the gene, but of course,
one doesn't always know. and breeders are extremely reluctant (as in no
way!) to reveal its presence in their lines.

When we realized our pup had the disorder, we had her spayed (by a very
nervous vet who had tons of blood on hand) as even heats involved too
much bleeding. She managed to survive to age 6, but was finally done in
by (probably) a sharp bone fragment picked up without our knowledge. She
bled to death internally while we were away at work.

As said, all I know you can do is be alert. Any bruise probably will
result in a hematoma (blood filling up a space near site -- most often
the ear or head). That usually will subside, but any internal bleeding
may or may not stop in time. Truly wish I had more to offer.

Riche