[Dailydrool] Our adventure

Valerie vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 15:04:39 PDT 2014

this is Harley of Hawaii. Yesterday Mila and I had an adventure. Dad emptied out the car and folded down the seats in back to make the car like a van; then he covered the folded down part with big thick dog beds, so Mila and I had one huge bed in back the size of--hmm--well, like a people bed. and he packed a cooler with water and dog treats, and then Mom and we set off on a trip to the other side of the island. when we got there, after walkies, we set up court at an outdoor cafe/convenience store on a patio with benches and umbrellas. and then Mila and I received visitors all afternoon. we greeted everyone who came and went and just about every single person stopped and sat with us and told us stories about basset hounds they'd known, and pet us, and fed us snacks. It was really cool. Like a basset open house or reception. It wasn't planned that way, but that's how it turned out. Mila and I were like the king and queen receiving an adoring public.

The biggest surprise was Mila's real mom from the Navy came. she had a couple of hours shore leave after being part of the honor guard at a funeral. Mila was glad to see her and introduced me, though we had so many admirers We were both a little distracted. anyway, I wanted to share one of the stories one visitor told us.

when he was a little boy, he lived with his father at a golf course, where the father worked. There was a resident basset hound at the golf course office named Bubbles. Bubbles would spend her day ambushing golf carts. She would hide in the bushes at the tee off places and wait until the golfers were all out of the cart. then she would climb into the cart and steal their lunches and take off running with a paper bag or two clutched in her teeth, her ears flying. the visitor said he used to love watching the golfers chase after her across the golf course, but they almost never caught up with her. Made me smile.