[Dailydrool] Slave Training

Kim Dworak kdworak69 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 2 13:13:28 PDT 2014

I would like to report an exceptional case of slave training.  When I asked my dh Brian about fostering Hal back in November, he said just until they can find him a permanent foster home.  Our house is too small for 3 dogs (he has a point, its 1100 sq feet).  And it's too hard to take 3 dogs out on leashes all the time (we don't have a fence).  Both good points but Hal needed a foster home and I was determined it would be us.  Something about him just called to me - before I even saw his picture.  So we agreed to foster and I made sure everyone was aware that it had to be temporary.  Then right around Christmas time, Brian said go ahead and tell them they don't need to find a permanent foster home for him.  He can't do stairs and isn't comfortable around small children so it will be hard to find another one and he is fine here.  So I did.  Then after Christmas I found that Brian was taking Hal for walks (Brian never takes the dogs for actual walks, just potty trips in the backyard).  I was speechless.  I asked what started it and he said, well, he just started walking down the driveway and wouldn't listen when I tried to bring him in the house.  So we went in the front.  Then we went on a walk.  Then around January 7th or so, he said we should adopt Hal - I don't want him going anywhere else.  I was speechless again.  Of course I agreed, and we did.  Now he takes Hal for around a mile walk everyday, unless it's raining.  We take all the dogs together for walks on the weekends, instead of me doing it alone.   All of this is amazing, because he has very bad depression and panic attacks.  Getting him outside can be harder than pulling teeth.  Hal has worked miracles since he's been here.  Yesterday after he woke up, he told me that Hal got him up at 2:15 am and had to go outside.  That happens every once in a while,  so Brian took him out, and Hal wanted to go on a walk.  So Brian took him on a half hour walk at 2:15 in the morning.  I asked why he just didn't bring him in and go back to bed.  He said - Because Hal wanted a walk and he wouldn't move until I did what he wanted.  If that is not exceptional slave training, I don't know what is.  Hal - I am in awe of you, and I am so very glad you came into our lives.

Kim with Hal, Wulfie, and Heidi and the c at ts of course