[Dailydrool] Reginald: Day Seven

Tim Mayer tcm541 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 14:00:06 PDT 2014

Lena, my dog-sitter friend came over today to meet Reginald. She was
thoroughly impressed. Sure, he's rambunctious, but I think he's much younger
than the rescue group thought. They said two to three years old, but he's
acting so much like a puppy still that I'd guess no more than a year and a
half old, possibly less. And a number of people who looked at the photos I
put on Flickr also think he's still a puppy.

While Lena was here the dogs had some bones. Reginaled finished his first,
and kept trying to get Dexter's. Well, Dex wouldn't have any of that! Mostly
is was verbal warnings to back off, but at one point I actually had to
intervene. At that point the bone was put away. Dexter can have it later.
Both dogs settled down for some quiet time, but a half an hour later they
were rough-housing just exactly the way I'd hoped they would. Reggie does
bark more than I'm used to when he's playing, but he's quiet outdoors where
it matters most. Can't upset the neighbors, after all.

So far, Reggie hasn't been much of a chewer. I found my Birkenstocks in the
backyard, but they hadn't been chewed on. He got a pair of socks out of the
hamper and those were on the bed, slightly wet but not damaged. Other items
have been similarly re-located. He did pick up a computer part from the
project I've got on the dining room table and he chewed up a connector. Not
a big deal - easy fix. But I do know that I'll need to keep an eye on him.
This is a very good thing. Maggie and Dexter were both a big problem,
chewing up a multitude of things that have never been fixed (chairs, carpet,
walls, etc.) and I'd really hate to go through that all over again.

Now that he's learned that this is HIS home too, the housebreaking has
kicked in. There've been no accidents since Tuesday. He's learning "off" and
is coming to his name better. But the exhuberance level is making "sit" and
"stay" a lot harder. And does anyone have an idea on how I can discourage
his excessive face-licking? I mean, a little of that when I first come home
from work is okay, but this guy just doesn't stop!

Tim