[Dailydrool] chewing on paws??

Bonnie Harlow blessedbassets at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 07:01:11 PDT 2014

  My sweet Zoee, age 11 yrs. has begun chewing on her paws, I think.  First discovered that her front paws seemed dry and cracked because she started limping.  At first I thought it was just old age stiffness getting up but checked her feet and found the paws cracked.  Talked to vet and put on Neosporin, pad and made little sock booties to keep her from chewing on paws and licking the Neosporin.  That was yesterday.  This morning she started licking and chewing one of her back paws and when I checked it was bleeding and I assume that she chewed it until it bled.  Have a call into my vet but I know that droolers are a great source of knowledge and help so asking for info. and advice from all of you.
    Added info.,  Zoee is in the house 24/7  and only goes out to potty or walk a bit in the front yard.  She was outside a lot more in her younger years and never showed any allergies at all to anything.  She did begin on special dog food for kidney issues (which she hates) about 6 weeks ago but don't think this could cause an allergy??  Nothing really different in the way of her food or surroundings??  She is a happy and lazy old gal that pretty much does what she wants and sleeps a lot so no signs of anxiety, stress or anything like that.
Any input or advice would be welcomed.  thanks so much.
Bonnie and the Blessed Bassets