[Dailydrool] Allie and Noah, BR of FL

Donna Lindy dlindy at mac.com
Fri Jun 27 06:59:22 PDT 2014

Yesterday I posted briefly about our July $5 Friday hounds
who are being cared for by Basset Rescue of Florida.  Here
is some info about Allie and Noah, Lucas, Fred and Arthur
from Pam at BR of FL:
Allie and Noah, a bonded pair of seniors, were pulled  from Miami-Dade Animal Control,  a very high-kill shelter where disease and parasites run rampant. This precious pair are obviously related.  Allie, who is the more petite of the two, is mostly black with brown points and some white.  She weighed 40 pounds when she was first rescued.  Noah has a more husky build and looks to be the older of the two.  His right ear is split from some incident in his past.

Both of these bassets came to us with demodectic mange issues - Allie had it worse than Noah but they both had the most severe itching I have seen in a long time.  We went straight way to the vet from the shelter and the poor little ones could not stop itching.  They would rub their heads on anything they could find and just couldn't stop - then try and scratch the rest of their body by rubbing it along the floor.  After a skin scraping told us what we were dealing with,  they have been started on a month's course of antibiotics,  a course of prednisone and a proper diet with extra fatty acids and medicated baths.  They were missing a great deal of their hair due to the mange and it will take time for everything to be cleared up and their hair grown back in.  We may have to go another round of prednisone and antibiotics - it doesn't appear the first round took care of everything as there is still quite a bit of itching.

One of the things I asked the vet to do was to estimate their age.  He said due to their very poor skin and general condition, it was really hard to say.  They've had a "hard life" and obviously have lived outside their entire lives.  We do know from the condition of their eyes they are at least 7 years old - perhaps 8 years old for Allie and 9-10 years old for Noah.  They both have a very sweet and willing disposition.  The other bassets here at headquarters taught them the doggie door right away and they've never had an accident of any kind in the house.  It did take them a couple of days to get used to being in the house - they were used to sleeping outside and they both hid in the bushes each night, sleeping on dirt, for the first couple of days, curled up with the other.  After they got more comfortable with the whole house thing, they were right in the middle of the huddle with everyone else.

Noah's favorite place to sleep is the sofa.  Allie loves a big, soft, plush bed.  They follow you from place to place and it's not uncommon to find them curled up together on a different bed.  They are truly a bonded couple and will not be adopted out separately so we have a pair of senior bonded bassets which may well be with us in rescue for a very long time.

Allie is going to be spayed this week.  We are looking at about $750 total in medical bills right now for the two of them with their skin issues and the spaying.

The rescue also has another pair of bonded seniors who are a "return to rescue" situation from being adopted out to a man 4 and 6 years ago.  The adoptive father developed a drug problem and was subsequently arrested.  Thankfully they found their way back to us.  The boy, Lucas, is 12 years old and has extemely bad hips.  Although he is on daily Rimadyl, it is not completely taking care of the pain.  I am currently supplementing that with Ester-C and S.O.D and Boswellia.  He needs to go into the vet and have another workup to see where he stands and to find a better pain relief plan for him.

We continue to have Arthur and Fred.  Fred is on Rimadyl full time now.  Arthur needs to have some dental work done - although he had a dental when he first came in,  he's got some issues we need to deal with.

Please help us support this rescue in caring for these senior
hounds in need by giving up your latte or favorite treat for
a day and donating just $5 (or more if you like) to $5
Friday. Use paypal to donate to debbiesdawgs at icloud.com
Please help us avoid fees by choosing the friends & family
option.  Email me off list for an address to send a check
made out to Basset Rescue of Florida or if you don't know
to paypal funds to us.

Remember, a few dollars adds up to a lot of dollars when
a lot of people participate - it's a wonderful feeling to be
a part of something that helps these hounds.

Thanks,

Donna, drool fueler for Gracie, Bosley and Sunny