[Dailydrool] Debbie's Dawgs $5 Friday hound

Donna Lindy dlindy at mac.com
Wed Mar 5 06:40:27 PST 2014

Debbie's Dawgs is pleased to announce that our $5 Friday
hound is Lola from Carolina Basset Hound Rescue. Here's
why she was chosen as this month's recipient of all funds
donated for $5 Friday.  Please consider donating just $5
to help this sweet old gal - don't forget for every $5 you
donate, you'll be entered into the drawing for a $25 gift
card for Moon Doggie Coffee!  We are accepting donations
through Paypal at debbiesdawgs at icloud.com  Please
indicate either $5 Friday or Lola in the remarks.  Last
day to donate for Lola is Sunday (ends at midnight).

We thank you for helping Debbie's Dawgs to continue
Debbie's work in helping those senior basset hounds
in rescue.

Lola, affectionately called 'Granny Lola', is about 16 years old. She was adopted to a family in 2008 and returned to CBHR in April, 2012. Lola was in pretty bad shape medically, when she was returned. She needed to gain about 5 pounds, was estimated to be about 75% blind with her eyes infected with a discharge. She has a very bad infection in her ears and they were loaded with black gunk and estimated to be 80% deaf. She had a 'drunk sailor walk' with a very wobbly rear end. She had difficulty standing up and when she did get up, she swayed a minute or two before she could get moving. She had arthritis in her back as well. Her teeth were black / discolored, her gums inflamed and infected with major tartar. (She had to have four abscessed teeth removed.) Worst of all was a large bald spot on the middle of her back (about the size of a large grapefuit) that was getting larger. Her hair continued to fall out around it in clumps every time you petted her. Her skin was all a bright pink color due to a bacterial skin infection. She also had a large inguinal hernia in her groin area. Poor Lola also had a raging urinary tract infection. It seemed like every part of her had something wrong.

We worked through all her ailments and today we have a healthy (for a 16 year old), happy Basset. Her fur has all grown back, her teeth are in good shape, she can see pretty well but does have a significant hearing loss. She can't walk too far, so we bought her a doggy stroller so she can go with us when she wants!

Lola is on several medications, physical therapy treatments, and gets special medicated shampoo baths to keep her going. She also goes to ARCC (Animal Rehab and Conditioning Center) in Simpsonville, SC once a week. She receives weekly 1) therapeutic laser treatments on her spine / back and 2) underwater treadmill hydrotherapy. Once she improves more from these treatments, she will begin accupuncture.

Lola is a wonderful dog! Each day with Lola is a blessing. She sleeps alot but when she wants something, she does her Lola barking...which means, give me what I want and give it to me now. We just have to guess what it is! We love this foster girl! Hope this is what you are looking for. If not and you need more information, please let me know. The most expensive items for Lola are the ARCC treatments - unfortunately, this is what is helping her the most!!

Donna, drool fueler for Gracie, Bosley and Sunny