[Dailydrool] Lucy update and Nigel's stones

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at optimum.net
Sun Mar 23 15:14:37 PDT 2014

Dear Lucy's mama:

We know how it is to have a dog with a dark history--so many of our
hounds have come to us with a short history and some bad memories. To
those who say dogs do not remember, I say, "Phooey!" Of course they
remember, and if you have them a long time, they will tell you about
their past--just flashes of memory, not the whole story, but enough for
you to conclude some things.

Our Horton has been with us over a year now. We know that he is afraid
of people, especially men, in baseball caps. I also think he's afraid of
being kicked (though no one in this house has ever kicked him). Loud
voices make him crazy. From that I can learn a lot of things. But since
he has pretty good manners with me and was obviously well socialized at
some point, I assume he had someone who loved him but lost that person
(probably a woman, since he is less likely to fear women).

Horton's brother, whom he came into rescue with, is probably also afraid
of baseball caps. So I assume they both had the same bad experience.

We are glad that Lucy has found you and can get over those awful
experiences. It takes time (Horton has yet to stop being fearful, but we
had to stop his training this winter, since it was so cold and he was
pretty much kept housebound by his recovery from heartworm).

To Nigel and his mama:

We are sorry to hear that you have stones, Nigel. We hope you are soon
feeling better and that your mama will be able to stop worrying about
you.

Pam and all the Dashing Bassets