[Dailydrool] Pw Penny

Eleri Pastouret elerimist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 12:48:06 PDT 2014

Thanks to all for the heart-warming wishes. They really do help. I am so happy to be a part of this group. You are wonderful.

It is difficult. Penny was my "special" friend. Misty was my first basset and when she was old I thought she was lonely and would appreciate a basset companion (and I already knew how hard it is being in a home without the patter of paws on the floor).  That was how Penny found her way here.  The match was perfect and they bonded very quickly. Penny was very good with Misty for the few months that they spent together, lying by her side all the time, even lying on top of her!  When the time came to say goodbye to Misty, the vet came to our home to do the "dreaded deed". Penny was lying literally on top of Misty and once Misty's last breath had gone, Penny got up and went to lie somewhere else. She knew.

Penny then went into depression, really.  Her character changed. I decided that she needed a furry companion and so Polly joined us. Once again, the match was perfect. For years, those two played and wrestled and chased squirrels together. That's the memory that makes me smile the most - squirrel hunting!  On the sofa they were like siamese twins. They were always glued to each other: one wants out? The other wants out. One want's a drink? The other wants a drink  ... and so on.

Penny was (I hate using the past tense) perfect. She was very gentle and cuddly, but she was also extremely stubborn and knew exactly what she wanted. Penny wants? Penny gets <sigh>  She was brilliant with puppies and with old dogs. Anything in-between she ignored, except Polly. A male dog would come up and want to be friendly? She'd snarl at him (words not to be repeated in polite company!).  She was the most intelligent dog I have ever met.  You could almost see her mind working out a problem - and she always found the right solution. Polly is the one still waiting for the brown truck to deliver her brains! and of course Penny had charm - she was a sitter-upper!  That worked on EVERYone - me included!

Her fur was so soft, almost like silk. I loved stroking her and that's all I did for her last 5 days with us. I know she was over 16 and that great age for a basset is really above and beyond the "call of duty" but she was in fine form before that. Just a couple of months ago we did some 2 hour walks in the hills.

We miss her terribly.

Hugs to all and our deepest thoughts for all those who are experiencing the same sadness as ourselves - we seem to be many at the moment. If I was a congress man (woman) my first thing would be to CLOSE the Rainbow Bridge gates <sigh>

Eleri

Eleri Pastouret
www.bassettissimmo.com
http://mascollection.free.fr
www.un-coeur-sous-loreille.org

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists on other planets is that it's never tried to contact us."