[Dailydrool] Fearful Hounds

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri May 2 21:01:29 PDT 2014

Ok I do not have a cure for this altho I am familiar with all the
suggestions. I like Patricia McConnell but I think her protocols tend to be
extremely lengthy and unwieldy.

I have had two Bassets who had no reason to be fearful of anything become
fearful right at age one. That is probably not the case here, because I
believe the dog in question is a rescue and therefore may have had multiple
bad experiences with men.  Both my Bassets who fell apart were much more
afraid of men than women: my son in particular who has a beard and smokes
and is not here much of the time. For some reason both boys were/are
terrified of him.

Mitchell was attacked at training by another dog as he went into the ring.
It took weeks to get him past that,but he was never the same confident dog
again. He was one year old and had already spent 6 months being shown.

Nigel had no reason to become a ghost, but he did, right at one year​. He
also had been shown from 6 months, been to training, been handled by
everyone, had absolutely no reason to be afraid of men or anyone else, but
suddenly he was, and he still is up to a point. He certainly would not
allow a strange man to get near him.
Even down in the rear he pulls away.

So who knows why some dogs are fearful? I just take them where they need to
go and ask people not to try to handle them, to pet them, or to even pay
attention to them. As long as they have their invisible shields up, they
are fine. This is no help at all, I know. Just relating my experience.

MomPerson to Llewis, Nigel (no no don't touch me) Conley and Doc. (who has
his own issues with strangers.)