[Dailydrool] Need assistance in handling recent aggressive behavior in basset sisters

Tecia Eckerman tecia1 at charter.net
Sun May 11 14:59:35 PDT 2014

I have always enjoyed all of the tips of the trade and suggestions from other basset hound owners, and I would love some input from anyone on recent aggressive behavior between our two female basset hounds.

We have had Whipper Will for five years, and adopted Lawley Pawp over  one and a half years ago.  She is our first basset that we have not raised from a pup.  She was 6 months when we rescued her.  They are both spayed, and have normally very sweet dispositions.

They were fast friends from the start, playing and loving each other.  Whipper accepted Lawley right away with no obvious jealous tendencies.

Recently we have had about 5 incidents which the two have fiercely fought with each other.  There has been no wounds until yesterday, when we had a few puncture wound on Whippers ear and leg. The growling starts and the two just go at it.

It seems to come out of no-where!! It is not during feeding time, or treat time, or over any treasured toys.

We are not new basset owners, as we have had 8 of these wonderful creatures, and we do not have a clue what to do about this new phenomenon!!!  We have never had any aggressive dogs before.

They have had thorough check ups recently, without any issues except the normal ear, and fatty cysts!!!  They are not on any medication except flea/tick and heart worm preventative meds.

Anyone that could provide me any suggestions, would be much appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance!!!

Tecia

Momperson to Whipper Will and Lawley Pawp

Sent from my iPad