[Dailydrool] Pierre and rimadyl

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Sat May 24 17:03:11 PDT 2014

Greetings all, and I wish everyone a safe, patriotic and fun Memorial Day weekend.  Thank you to all our Military friends for their service.
Pierre's biopsy report came back and he is positive for IBS, but the plan is to monitor him for the next three weeks while we are treating the helicobacter, and I have already started a food switch to a limited ingredient food.  Also, I am adding probiotics to his diet, and if he still needs more treatment, steroids are an option, but that will be as needed.  So far, he seems better already, knock on wood.
Regarding rimadyl, and I use the generic vetprofen, I have two who take it chronically.  Pumpkin gets 50 mg. twice a day, as well, she gets 50 mg. of tramadol twice a day.  Without this medicine, she loses the use of her back legs.  She has arthritis on her spine, and at 13 1/2, she hardly is slowed down by the drug.  She runs around the yard, and generally, she seems happy and bright eyed.  She does have a chronic cough, though, so she takes 150 mg. of theophylline 2x daily as well.
Nikki is also on vetprofen.  She is only 7 1/2, but she gets random sciatica attacks, so she maintains with 75 mg. of vetprofen once a day.  Even with this, she has an occasional flair up, and then she is allowed a second 75 mg. vetprofen for a couple of days, along with 100 mg. of tramadol twice a day.  Again, the extra meds. are only for a couple of days.  She also takes cosequin ds once a day
I wish I could give Nigel vetprofen, but it upsets his stomach way too much.  About 6 weeks ago, he was limping in his right rear leg, and we started him on 75 mg. of tramadol twice a day.  After three weeks, I weaned him off the drug, but he just had another lameness episode a few days ago, so he is back on the med.  He also gets cosequin ds twice a day.  He is getting a head to toe exam in the near future, and even though he had an exam after the first incident, we didn't do X-rays at that time.
Healing drool to all in need,
Jackie, Pumpkin, Jellybean, Nigel, Colette, Little Nikki and Pierre jr.