[Dailydrool] more June $5 Friday senior hounds

Donna Lindy dlindy at mac.com
Fri May 30 08:00:44 PDT 2014

Meet Trixie, Snow Paws and Candy, all with BAGS Basset Rescue,
who will be benefitting from our upcoming $5 Friday on June 6th.
You are welcome to donate early via Paypal to
debbiesdawgs at icloud.com   (please choose friends and family option)

To see pictures of these girls, those on Facebook can visit our page,
Debbie's Dawgs. All 3 are beautiful!

These girls have all arrived at BAGS in the last 3 weeks. Snow Paws is 11 years old, and Trixie is 8. Their life until now has consisted of living in a barn and producing litters of puppies multiple times a year  at the expense of their health and happiness. Trixie had an emergency c-section 8 weeks ago because her uterus was worn out, and she had to be spayed to save her life. Literally days after the puppies were sold, she was discarded, which was the best thing that could have happened.  Snow Paws had her last litter sometime before Trixie, and was not going to be of use to the back yard breeder again. They should have been enjoying their senior years instead of raising puppies.  They have both had their senior bloodwork, xrays, dentals, which included extractions, and thankfully have tested negative to heartworm disease and started on preventative for the first time in their lives. Snow Paws has now been spayed, and also had to have 4 mammary tumors removed. Their vaccines have now been updated, possibly their first vaccines. The back yard breeder had no vet records to share.  They have both quickly adjusted to living indoors like queens, and enjoying it very much. Both are very sweet ladies.

Candy was dumped at the shelter as stray, with the person exclaiming "isn't she gross the way she looks and smells." The bacteria from Candy's wound and ears was the same as decomposing flesh. Yes, she did smell horrible, but instead of helping her, they disposed of her like rotting garbage. The dog warden was able to figure out that Candy was not a stray, but instead being discarded by her owner that she has lived with for 11 years. This person will be going to court for Candy's severe neglect. Because of Candy's condition, she would only be released to rescue. Candy was in severe pain and had to be sedated just to be able to thoroughly examine her large abscess and ears. The following morning she had surgery for the abscess and a drain inserted. She possibly faces one more surgery on the abscess. Her ear culture confirmed 5 resistant bacteria and her ears require much care each day. I can now touch them without her yelping.  Candy's antibiotic recently caused a gastro upset that made her very sick. She had a couple days of anti nausea and vomiting meds to help her recover and will soon be starting a different type of antibiotic. Candy enjoys exploring the yard, rolling in the grass, and howling at the cows in the neighboring pasture. She visits the vet clinic often for rechecks and never misses a belly rub from staff or other clients. It's all about Candy now, as it should be.

Snow Paws, Trixie, and Candy's vet bill have reached $2400, that already adds to a HUGE balance. In the last year, all the bassets that have come into BAGS have had most of their lives with neglected vet care and their road to wellness has been expensive. Our vets' attitudes are that the health and well being of these rescue dogs are the most important, and that we will work on the cost as we can. We are very grateful for their understanding, and their love of rescue.

Breaks your heart, doesn't it?  Please help if you can!

Thank you,

Donna, drool fueler for Gracie, Bosley and Sunny