[Dailydrool] The Turkey Story

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Thu Nov 27 06:48:41 PST 2014

Thank you for posting "The Turkey Story," Angelika. It just isn’t Thanksgiving anymore without the traditional reading of "The Turkey Story." Sort of like Christmas isn’t Christmas without the reading of “Twas the Night Before Christmas.” I’ve read that story about Annie and the Thanksgiving bird every Thanksgiving since it was first published, and it still makes me laugh.

Alas for our Elsinore and young Charlie, there shall be no turkey in their home this year since we’ve been invited to share the meal with Drooler Kelly Jane Wilson and her family. But Elsinore’s not supposed to have any extra protein anyway. She’s now fully transitioned onto her new Royal Canin renal diet and eats it without coaxing most of the time. Maybe it’s my imagination and/or wishful thinking, but it seems as if she’s been a little more perky since starting her new diet and the fish oil supplements. It also seems as if I’m not having to refill the water quite so much now.

But it also seems as if Elsinore can’t make it for more than an hour or so during the day without needing to go outside to take care of things. She gets through the night all right, I suppose because she sleeps so deeply anymore. During the day, however, I might be gone for only two hours and I still return home to a big puddle in the back entry. Fortunately she doesn’t seem to feel embarrassed by her lack of control. I just keep the mop at the ready, and every time I go out I do so with the expectation that I’ll be needing to use it when I get back. I tell Elsinore it’s all right to not be as good at some things as she used to be, and I hope that someday when I’m an old lady the people taking care of me will be as kind and understanding about my new limitations.

Elizabeth