[Dailydrool] Dashing Bassets' home reclaimed!

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at optimum.net
Mon Sep 8 13:47:35 PDT 2014

Phew! The Dashing Basset household has finally gotten back to normal.
The tiny Italian greyhound who was with us for two whole weeks and a
little more finally went home on Sunday. It's taken us a day to be sure
she won't pop up out of  somewhere and start bark-bark-barking or
nipping at us.

The mom and dad kinda liked her, but by the end of the visit they were
willing to admit that bassets are even more wonderful and that we are
the right breed for them. I think I heard mom say something about not
liking all that yapping--and you know that we never yap! Dad liked
taking Lily for walks, but all that frenetic energy didn't sit so well
with him.

Mom says I got the worst of it from greyhound Lily. She didn't like that
I couldn't see and practically got my nose a couple of times. But I know
how to stand my ground, so it never turned into anything. She thought
she was in charge,  and our pack head Holly didn't fight her on that.
But none of us let her completely take over. After all, this is still a
basset household.

Duncan the c at t was on high alert the whole time she was here. He does
not mind training dogs to treat him with respect, and when a dog does
not listen, he makes life very difficult for her. Mom says that the
little IG may have picked up on some things faster than a basset, but
she missed out on that one (along with training on how to sit--that
hound didn't know the meaning of the word).

We are glad that Lily's humans love her, and we are glad they came back
to take her home. She may come to visit again, but we are glad to have
our home to ourselves for the time being. Mom's not promising no more
long visits, but I think next time she will be better prepared to defend
our pack.

C. K. Dexter Haven of the Dashing Bassets