[Dailydrool] RUSTY'S LIVER ISSUES

jfishel1500 at comcast.net jfishel1500 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 15 17:46:58 PDT 2014

In Feb I posted about something new I was thinking about trying to help Rusty with his allergies which are more seasonal and environmental than from foods. The product is a  peanut butter based substance (called Healthy Goo or Doggy Goo)  that was developed by a DVM.  The peanut butter was said to be the best human grade butter you can buy. It contained extracts from different allergens and the idea was to help a dog develop a tolerance to particular allergies.  I began giving Rusty the substance in Dec and by April I can honestly say I could see a difference in his allergies.  Then in late May he developed a sore on his gum so I had to stop the Goo because the vet put him on antibiotics and prednisone; and they worked against the Goo.  Shortly after that he started to loose weight and was vomiting and lost all interest in eating (not normal for Rusty).  I took him back to the vet and he after running tests he determined that he had pancreatitis and liver issues.  He spent 5 days on IVs at the vet's office and  I nearly lost him.  I don't know exactly what caused his issues, but the vet said it was probably something fatty that set him off.  The only other thing Rusty ever ate besides his prescription diet was the Goo.  I'm embarrassed to say that I never checked with my vet before giving Rusty the product because he wanted me to use Atopica.   I'm a senior citizen living on a fixed income and the Atopica was way to expensive for me.  So I thought I'd give the Goo a try.   I can't be 100% sure that is what caused his issues, but all I can say is that I have concerns  He just couldn't handle it and I no longer give it to him.  As a result he is now on a Denamarin tablet once a day to protect his liver, and that's not cheap.  At the time Rusty got sick  I had just  received a new shipment of  the Goo . It was unopened and refrigerated so I sent an email to the developers asking if I could return the product and I told them I would not be ordering any more and why.  I  asked if I could return it and get a refund.  Of course their answer was NoThat's $137 thrown in the trash.  Live and learn, I guess.  He's doing much better now as far as his liver is concerned, but still scratching and itching.  My vet hopes to get a supply of Apoquel by the end of the year, and we'll be first in line at his door.