[Dailydrool] Names, Turds and dear Harley

Rebecca Louisa Stanton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Apr 2 12:50:23 PDT 2015

​I am a little late chiming in on this, and I hope I have the subject
matter correct; were the reasons behind basset names ​chosen being
discussed?  We decided on the name Morse really because - like the original
Inspector - he is grumpily gorgeous, solitary and thoughtful (although he
doesn't do the crossword or drink fine ale).  When we got him, his breeder
said that out of the pack, Morse was the one who would always go off by
himself and liked to be alone.  He loves being with us all the time, but
with other dogs he has always (after the initial delight at seeing them)
sought his own company, to the point of really being a very bad host and
almost tapping his paw until the doggie company has departed.

Morse has a really bad habit, and it has happened so many times now that it
cannot be just coincidence.  I am sorry to be so graphic, but basically
when he does his first turd it is always really solid, and the second one
maybe an hour later is always a slightly mushier consistency (I really am
sorry if you are eating).  Its still formed well, but when you pick it up
with a bag, it leaves remnants and sticks to the pavement somewhat.
Morse's habit is that he always manages to do the second turd in an
extremely public place, usually right outside a café or a pub where people
are eating.  Today he did it right in front of a café where people were sat
outside eating and drinking.  He narrowly missed a lady's foot.  I did
apologise but I could tell the lady concerned wasn't overly enamoured with
the brown shadow left on the pavement, as she looked at that and then back
at her half-eaten dinner.  As I fumbled about finding multiple bags and
trying to scrape as much as I could up, Morse waddled off on his extension
lead, tail high in the air, obviously pleased with himself.

We are sending all the drool we can find for Val and Harley;  I know these
are hard times for you both, and we are sending all our love.

Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB