[Dailydrool] The Southport Bassets

Julie Canny via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Apr 3 09:05:39 PDT 2015

Please close the bridge for a bit.  Too many crossings.  Oh my goodness,
such infamous Bassets heading towards the bridge.  Having read of their
exploits over these many years, I feel as though I knew them.  Fly free
Vernon Q, Phoebe, Lovely Lucy and all the other sweeties.  I'm sure the
buffet has been well stocked.  The four Canny Bassets are slinging heart
healing drool.

It's a lovely day in NC today and our Bassets are enjoying the sun,
flipping every so often to get an even "tan".  The bugs are out.  Mulligan
hates all flying insects and runs into the house if she hears a rumor of
one flying by.  But at night she gets even and kills all crawly things she
can find.  She can fit an amazingly large toad in her mouth at night so we
have to watch carefully to make sure she doesn't bring in unwanted house
guests.

I need some advice, I cannot seem to break 2 of the 4 bassets of a nasty
habit.  They like to potty on the porches.  We have 2 porches that the dogs
can access.  There is a dog door in the storm door to the front porch (and
a gate at the bottom of the steps).  There is a dog door to the back porch
with a screen dog door to their own landing and basset ramp to the fenced
back yard.  Guinness will go out the back door and pee (or poo) on the
porch before heading down the ramp to run in the back yard.  The 2 older
bassets will go out the doors, down the ramp and do their business.  A week
after having it all power washed, it stinks again.  Any ideas on breaking
this habit??