[Dailydrool] advice on canine renal dysplasia, kidney failure

Bonnie Harlow via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Apr 3 10:26:21 PDT 2015

My precious 7 month old Basset puppy,  Barnabus (means "son of
encouragement"), has just been diagnosed with canine renal dysplasia
(improper kidney development, probably genetic). He had blood work for a
possible surgery and this is where the kidney failure showed up. He was
given IV fluids for a day and a half and put on special prescription food
for kidney dysfunction. Barnabus is a crazy wild, active boy and you would
never know that anything is wrong with him. My vet was shocked and
devastated as we were too. Barnabus does drink a lot of water and pee a lot
but is a great eater and very, very active. He loves playing with his
Basset buddies, cats, kids, everyone. He is very very special to us and we
want to do all we can to extend his life for as long as possible.

   I would welcome any and all advice and your experiences with this type
of problem.  I have had senior Bassets that had kidney failure in old age,
etc. but this is a different thing. I am searching for any ways to help him
to live longer as I know this is a life threatening, life shortening
condition. I have a wonderful vet that is very supportive and open to any
suggestions. She will be doing regular check ups on all of his levels, etc.
She has prescribed Renavast as a supplement that is to help with phosporus
level I think.    I don't often post but have been given wonderful support
and advice from daily drool folk anytime I have posted and I know you all
are a wonderful resource.
 Thanks so much. Bonnie
feel free to email me at blessedbassets at gmail.com