[Dailydrool] Sasha, Honey and Franklin

Donna Lindy via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Apr 28 07:05:11 PDT 2015

I wish  you could see pictures of these sweet House of Puddles
hounds that we are helping with May’s $5 Friday.  Email me if
you need info on how to participate in $5 Friday . . .

Here’s what Marilyn has to say about these 3 hounds:

Meet silly little Sasha, and I do mean little for a basset, about 30 lbs.  She came to HOP on 9/29/2013 at 12 years of age.  Her owner was moving, couldn't take her with, and was going to euthanize her rather than put her in a shelter.  A good Samaritan stepped up and said she would find a home for her.  So Belly Rubs Basset Rescue in TN found a way to get Sasha to HOP and save her life.

Sasha is a sweetheart. a little unsure, or maybe confused at times, but totally lovable.  Just two weeks after she came to HOP, she caused a commotion when she suddenly and unexpectedly went into heat.  I had no idea that neutered males would still have an interest, but they did.  We had to wait for six weeks, per the vet's instructions, to have her spayed.  It was an interesting period at HOP.

Now she is in a fight for her life.  Tuesday night, 4/22, I found the left side of her face and jaw had suddenly swelled up. Past experience made me think it might just be a spider bite or bee sting so I treated her with Benedryl.  The next day I didn't see much improvement so made a vet appointment for her just in case the swelling didn't go down.  Thursday morning I found it had popped open and did not look pretty, so we went off to the vet immediately.  It turned out to just be an abscess, which is normally treated by draining and antibiotics, but some of her blood work values were off the charts, especially pertaining to her liver.  She was in liver failure.  The vet recommended putting her on IV fluids and IV antibiotics and see how she did, but warned if she didn't improve, he would recommend euthanasia.

The next morning, Friday 4/24, she was showing improvement, eating well and otherwise acting OK.  So we decided to give her the chance to live and keep her at the vet's office on fluids and antibiotics.  At this time we are very hopeful for her recovery.  The downside is the expense of her treatments so far and staying there over the weekend.  Estimate just until Monday, 4/27, is $2,000.  But since she is doing well and the treatments are not causing her pain or discomfort, I will not let expense stand in the way of giving her a longer chance of life.  (Side note:  Sasha is recovering!)

Honey (age 14, red and white with freckles) and Franklin (age 11, black and white), came to HOP on 12/21/2014 from a shelter in AL.  Their owners moved and just dumped them off there, the sames shelter from which they had adopted them nine years earlier.

Honey is a very sweet girl, although with a jealous streak towards the other hounds.  It is her job to wake me every morning with a nose in my ear, kisses on my face, and if I don't stir, she rests her head on my neck until I start moving.  Her major expense was a dental, requiring 12 extractions and costing over $2,700.  But she is doing doing great now with a pain-free mouth.

Franklin is a very loving boy and doesn't mind sharing his love with the other hounds. He doesn't really look like the basset mix he was billed as, more likely some sort of herding dog. He is a very enthusiastic face washer.  Any time another dog approaches him he starts washing their face and they all love it.  He also helps to wake me in the morning by bounding on the bed and wriggling around vigorously on his back for morning belly rubs. He was heartworm positive and we spent about $1,000 on the heartworm treatments and associated medications. He seems to be healthy at this time but will likely suffer future complications from the damage the heartworms are prone to cause to internal organs.

Thanks so much to everyone who has donated early; please consider
helping HOP with their huge vet bills! We’re accepting donations
through Sunday night, May 3rd.

Thanks,

Donna, drool fueler for Bosley and Sunny
dlindy at mac.com