[Dailydrool] Bassets with lung cancer

Ginny Tata-Phillips via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Aug 6 14:38:54 PDT 2015

We lost our very first basset, Winnie, to lung cancer at the age of 12.

She fought the good fight and we kept her comfortable for a number of
months after her diagnosis.  Steroids helped for awhile.

We finally let her go when my asthmatic daughter listened to her difficulty
breathing and said to me:  "Mom, don't let Winnie be afraid when she can't
get a good breath.  It is so scary when you can't breathe."

During this same time she seemed to have some happy dementia and she acted
like a puppy again - getting up on the bed to sleep with the humans, which
she had not done for several years, and playing with toys again.

I used to feel that we might have let her go a bit too early but I have
learned since that it is far worse to hang on to them a bit too long.

Love to you, Alisa, and contact me off list if you need me.

--
Ginny Tata-Phillips

*Co-author of RESKU, DOGKU, BIRDKU, HORSEKU, PETKU and HAIKU IS THE SPICE
OF LIFE with Diane Grindol and DUFFY TO THE RESCUE with Tom Schreck*
*www.gspotsylvania.wordpress.com <http://www.gspotsylvania.wordpress.com>*