[Dailydrool] RUSTY IN PA

jfishel1500 at comcast.net jfishel1500 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 4 10:17:07 PST 2015

It is with great sadness that I have to tell you all that I had to send Rusty to the Rainbow Bridge last evening.  He would have been 9 years old on Feb 17th.  He was a beautiful red and white Basset that I got from Tait's Bassets in 2006 as a pup.  He was so darned cute as a pup he almost looked like a stuffed toy dog, and he became more beautiful as he grew older.
Rusty bloated and his stomach twisted last evening.  We took him to the animal trauma center and the vet there tried to release the gas and it worked for a while, but kept building back up.  We talked about surgery but with his pancreatic issues she wasn't very positive about him even making it through surgery and said they was only 20% chance that he'd make it through the next 10 days following surgery.  I sure wasn't ready to put him down last evening, but I had to do what was best for him---not me.   This is my second Basset Hound and they were both such loving, cuddly dogs.  Needless to say there is a big hole in my heart which will take a long time to heal.

Give your dogs and extra hug for me today.  Someone once told me that if you love them enough to take good care of them when they're healthy, then you gotta love them enough to make the right decision for them when it's their time.