[Dailydrool] Grazing

Jennifer Martin via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Jul 5 02:03:11 PDT 2015

Our first basset, Bubbles ATB, was a grazer. When she was an only dog this
wasn't really a problem. Then we got Bismark ATB. He was not a great eater.
Nothing like Ben or some of the others. Part of his problem was he was
prone to strep throat. He would not eat when he had it. He also got sick
after general anesthesia and would vomit if he ate for about 2 days.
Whenever he wasn't eating to Bubbles' satisfaction, she would go get food
and dump a mouthful and stand over him until he ate it. Then she decided
she prefered to eat in the same room as him. So she would go get a mouthful
for him and then a mouthful for her and they are crunching away in the
living room on the carpet. Those two never over ate and were both always on
the thin side. Then we got Banshee. We found out that little one had severe
food agression. Plus, she would eat until there was no food any where. So
the grazing stopped. Banshee had to eat in another room where she couldn't
see any one. Bubbles and Bismark ate next to each other, but they had to
eat their meal so the bowls could be put up.

I don't mind grazing with one dog. As long as you know how much you are
feeding. My mother-in-law just keeps the bowls full all the time. Her poor
lab looks like a good year blimpwith toothpick legs. When there are
multiple dogs, and one gets sick, do you know who is eating and if it has
changed?

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess
timandjenmartin at gmail.com