[Dailydrool] Feeding the sickies

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Jul 5 04:14:10 PDT 2015

​This is something I have a lot of recent experience with and I would
encourage everyone to try very very very hard to keep your sick dog on
appropriate food unless you can honestly say that he or she is terminal and
it no longer really matters, the what-the-hell stage, where you are just
totally desperate.

I say this as we are still coming to grips with the thousands of bags of
treats, both human and dog/cat oriented, and the hundreds of open and
unopened tins of dog and cat food, tuna, chicken, beef, bison and duck in
the fridge and cupboards.

We found that Llewis liked the trashiest stuff the best. Beneful has
terrific ads but is terrible nutritionally and of course, that is what he
began eating. Cat food is terribly hard on dogs--very high protein. Cats
are true carnivores and their food is very rich for dogs and of course,
that's what Llewis wanted.
If you have to spoon feed measure the food out first so you know how much
they are eating. It's hard to know how to measure human food.
Braunschweiger became a temporary favorite but how much of that is ok
(probably none) and how much will push the system into revolt?
I/d and K/D and the other Hill's and Royal canin Vet products are good
temporarily but stink and are texturally nasty. We found Llewis wanted
smooth foods--pates and pastes and nothing with LUMPS. Texture became
important to him. Not flavor. Even oatmeal was too lumpy.
There are substitutes for all the Hill's and Vet prescribed foods even if
you have to cook for a couple of months.

Everyone, may you never have this problem. It is a heartbreaking road.

MomPerson to Doc and Conley or Conley and Doc. Or His Majesty Mr. Conley
Sir Your Highness and Doc.​