[Dailydrool] Corn on the Cob

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Jul 9 10:39:55 PDT 2015

​For some reason I just thought of this,.

Years ago I shadowed a Vet where I later worked. One of the cases was a
large, friendly Basset Hound. He had eaten a corn cob with butter and salt
that had been thrown in the garbage after a dinner for people. Corn cobs
expands in the intestinal tract and get stuck, almost always. Once this
happens, your dog is  obstructed., as was this dog. Unfortunately this was
the second time this dog had eaten a corn cob and the people were furious.
What kind of stupid dog does that twice? So they decided that to teach him
a lesson he could just get well on his own no surgery for this dog.

I am not sure what lesson it was: he died. He died slowly and in agony.

However, pay attention to the corn cob because that is what killed him.
Watch that trash especially now that it's summer and we are grilling and
eating outside, leaving the tables unattended for just a moment, or
forgetting the trash in order to get back to company or dish up dessert or
serve more of something. Dogs love them and they kill.

I can think of lots of things I hope happened to those people but it was
the corn cob I was worried about.

MomPerson (this was maybe 30 yrs ago and I still remember everything about
that dog.) to Conley and Doc.