[Dailydrool] Basset love

Jaime Brigance via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Jul 11 16:39:03 PDT 2015

Hello Drool family;
Biscuit and I send buckets of drool to all those in need.
I was deeply touched by something that happened this week and wanted to share it.
My little Biscuit really showed his loving heart this week to me.  The last months have not been easy: moving in (and then out) with a man I loved 30 years ago, my mother passing on, and my youngest daughter preparing to move to Japan with her Marine husband and she is pregnant.  (Its going to be a challenge to see my first grand-child).  I’m happy for them, it will take a little time to adapt to the idea.
My nerves reached a fever pitch after talking to my son, who called me a few minutes before heading into surgery for repair of his broken leg, which he broke in 3 places.  He waited to call me until he was dopey and he wanted to hear my voice as he was nervous about the surgery.  Would have been nicer if he’d called before that moment, but he didn’t.  At least he called me!
I took a time-out and just sat on the couch and cried.  My little Biscuit was not happy with me one bit.  He climbed on the back of the couch and started nudging me with his snout.  I petted him.  He kept nudging, I told him it was alright.  He did not take me seriously….
He then got down on the floor in front of me and starting howling!  I am visiting my daughter and she lives in an apt. where noise is simply not tolerated.  She keeps the tv down low and music is listened to with headphones.  The building manager lives two doors down, and Biscuit and I are guests.  So I tried to quiet Biscuit.  And he would have none of it.
I went to grab a piece of cheese, thinking that that would quiet him.  It did not,. He was starting to distract me from my emotions….and I think that is what he had in mind.
I then gave him a beggin strip and he would not take it from my hand!  Wow...I’ve never experienced that in my 15 years of having basset hounds.  Then he sat back down and barked at me, bark bark bark.  Loud.  I picked him up and sat him next to me and told him to be quiet, and he licked my neck.  Then I looked into his eyes and I swear it felt like he was talking to me with his eyes: “mommy, its ok, I love you, don’t be upset.” And he gazed at me.  That beggin strip was still on the kitchen floor.
That was the moment that I realized that he didn’t care about the treats, it was me being upset that he wasn’t having any of.  Then he did one of those basset shakes and he looked intently at me.  It took him a few minutes before he made his way back into the kitchen where the beggin strip treat was on the floor and he finally ate it.
He has been glued to me since that morning.  I’ve heard of emotional support, but WOW!  What a special boy, I am blessed to be in HIS life.
He made me laugh and I’m still smiling thinking about it.  These hounds are the best medicine in the world :)

love, Jaime & Biscuit