[Dailydrool] Elsinore is having a good last day

Elizabeth via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Jul 15 15:20:31 PDT 2015

Our Elsinore appears to have rallied a bit today. She seems brighter and perkier, and has been spending more time in the living room with everyone and less in the bedroom. Even better, the snarkiness is gone, and the old Elsinore who wants to be patted is back. As I sit beside her, she’s even periodically been whomping an emphatic paw down on my leg just as she used to, a gesture that’s supposed to let me know she’s got me under her paw and don’t I forget it. So I’ve spent most of the day sitting beside her dog bed, patting and cuddling her, and enjoying her presence one last day.

Although she’s feeling better right now, it won’t last. Our late Jane Basset had a rally, too. It lasted two wonderful days, but then she crashed hard and we found ourselves in an ER asking the vet to give her peace. I don’t want that to happen to Elsinore. I want her to leave before she hurts and is afraid. I can also tell that despite the bounce in her step as she comes up the ramp, she’s tired. She’s spending a lot of time resting, and her desire to take charge of things is gone. She’s also had some trouble with diarrhea and, yesterday, throwing up. Not that her GI tract has had a whole lot to work with at either end lately. . .

Young Charlie seems to be noticing the changes Elsinore’s going through. Yesterday afternoon he joined us in the bedroom, and stayed there the rest of the day and all night, too. Today he’s been going into the bedroom once he knows Elsinore’s settled in there. Usually he’s out in the living room, living his life independent of Elsinore’s. He’s a comfort, that Charlie.

Tomorrow Elsinore, Charlie, and I will travel to our friend Jennifer’s house, where we’ll meet the hospice vet and her nurse at noon. This is the vet who helped our basset friend Macy out of this world and into the next eight years ago. Elsinore will be in good hands.

So tomorrow night when you look up at the sky and see a star that looks as if it’s got a whole lot of attitude, that’ll probably be our Elsinore.

Elizabeth
linktolindsey at gmail.com <mailto:linktolindsey at gmail.com>
(I keep forgetting to put this at the end of my e-mails now, and it’s new e-mail address, too -- “lindsey” with an “e” and not an “a”)