[Dailydrool] Basset loss

David Wethington via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Jul 20 13:13:45 PDT 2015

To all of you fellow Basset lovers:

I've read so much lately of those of you who have lost a Basset.  I too
know the feeling of loss and loneliness.  We lost Bosun, our first Basset
in May of 2002 and I still miss him today, more than a decade later.  After
his passing, I wrote an article which I would like to share with all of
you.  You are welcome to pass this around, all I ask is that it be
forwarded in its entirety. If you would like it in .pdf format, email me
and I'll send you a copy.  kaneohe.dave at gmail.com  - Dave Wethington,
Kaneohe, HI

Bosun’s Last Gift – May 2002

My wife and I have been the proud parents of a beautiful red and white
basset named Bosun, which we got from a local breeder 14 years ago. Since
that time he has been our constant companion, only child and source of love
and affection.

For the last two years, his age has been catching up with him. His vision
was almost gone and in spite of all the chiropractic, acupuncture, physical
and hydro therapy and medications, his arthritis was constantly getting
worse.

Because of that, we have made extra efforts to make him as comfortable and
pampered as possible. There were days when he couldn't step over the front
door threshold - he was just too unsteady, so we picked him up and carried
him outside. There were days when he couldn't make it outside and he wet on
the floor. Since he was housebroken at a very early age, he knew he
shouldn't do that but he was old and just couldn't help it. We have tile
floors so it was no big deal. A little newspaper, a spray bottle and it was
gone.

We've known for the last couple of months that his time was growing very
short. Up until that time, he could walk - slowly, but he could walk. A
couple of months ago he just couldn't get his back legs to hold him up. We
tried medications - a waste of money. We took him to our chiropractor, who
had always been able to put him right in the past - but this time there was
nothing out of place, he just couldn't walk. We took him to my friend the
physical therapist. After several sessions - nothing. I tried hydrotherapy
- I bought a big tank and filled it with water. I put Bosun in the tank,
hoping that the water would help hold him up and he would work his back
legs. After several sessions, still nothing. Every time I tried to get him
to stand, his back end would just collapse. For the last couple of weeks we
have even had to help him sit up so he could eat. My wife and I both knew
that very soon we had to make that dreaded trip to the vet.

Finally this week I noticed that when I would carry him outside and lay him
on the concrete so he could go pee, he would pass very little urine.
Obviously, the first signs of renal failure.

After a couple of days of terrible anguish, I made the vet appointment for
Saturday. Taking our boy to the vet was the hardest thing we have ever
done. We both cried like babies the entire time. It was all I could do to
bring myself to pick him up and carry him to the car.

In a half hour or so, we're in the exam room, Bosun is laying quietly on
the table with my wife and I holding him and talking to him as the vet
makes the injection. A few seconds later the vet quietly tells me that his
heart has stopped and it's all over. He leaves the room to allow us some
privacy.

I'm not ashamed to say that I put my head on his neck and cried my heart
out. Next to my wife, I love this guy more than anything else on earth.
After a moment or so, I stepped back and I felt a gentle breeze. I looked
around, thinking that somehow a fan had been turned on. The room was still,
all windows and doors closed. Just then, I felt Bosun's spirit pass through
me! It paused just for an instant inside me and then I felt him continue on
his way. For a moment, I was filled with total love and happiness. It was
Bosun! He was free! I could feel his young, happy basset spirit!

I told my wife "Bosun's spirit just passed through me!" She said it must
have been his way of saying thank you and so long for now.

We are still grieving over the loss of our boy but I feel so privileged and
grateful that I was given this last gift.

Now some people will laugh at the thought of a dog having a spirit. Some
will laugh at the idea of that spirit coming to me. I swear this is what I
felt. I've had other family members who have experienced this when a human
friend or relative died, but this is the first case I've heard of when a
pet dies.

Is there another life after this one? I'm convinced there is. Bosun left an
old, worn out body and is now young, happy and without pain.

Go in peace, my dear sweet friend, we will be together again. David
Wethington/Joycelynn Chun