[Dailydrool] Naming bassets

Mary Wilson via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Mar 24 13:21:56 PDT 2015

Bev, what a nice question!

Our first basset, Paddi B Basset, is named for two beloved friends. Her
official registered name is Sunset's Descansco Princess. Sunset's the
kennel name, Descansco is a geographical reference, and Princess was our
delightful though bubble-headed apparent airedale/other terrier cross. (We
called her our terri-airhead.) Paddi's usual name is, of course, Paddi.
Paddi was my dearest friend. She died of breast cancer just after her 40th
birthday. She told me a couple of times that she would really like a
basset, so Paddi's name is in her honour.

Billy Basset was named Billy when he came from the shelter, and Vern was
Vern. It seems unkind to change their names when they arrive as adults when
there's enough other confusion.

Looking forward to hearing stories! There are so many wonderful names.

Mary, with Paddi B Basset, Vernon Q Basset, and Simba, the previously-named
Formosan Mountain Dog